Linked In

Monday, June 20, 2011

I Bought A Home, Can I Break My Lease?

I Bought A Home, Can I Break My Lease?



questions


Q:
Are there laws that allows me to break a lease because I’ve purchased my first home?

–Ben, Memphis, TN


A:
Absolutely not! A lease is a binding contract between two parties that provides for a certain amount of money (rent) to be paid over a certain amount of time. Unless your particular lease has provisions that cover the scenario you’ve describe (it’s likely that it does not), you are liable for rent payments for the term of your lease.
Check with your landlord. He may be able to work out some accommodation with you that would allow for you to get an early termination of your lease obligation.

Lee Dworshak is a Realtor® with Keller Williams LA Harbor Realty in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA.



"

No comments:

Post a Comment